Leas Cliff Hall is Kent's premier entertainment venue. It offers the very best in entertainment, from live music to headlining comedians, international dance acts to shows for all the family.
The Leas Cliff Hall has played host to some of the best music acts around such as Ozzy Osbourne, Kings of Leon, Status Quo, Stereophonics, The Darkness, McFly and many more...
History of Leas Cliff Hall
In 1924 it was decided that a large and majestic hall was needed in Folkestone for all entertainments. Work began on the new building in 1925 and was completed in 1927, only twenty-eight months from commencement. A striking tribute to Mr J.S. Dahl, the Norwegian architect.
Prince Henry, later Duke of Gloucester, opened the Leas Cliff Hall on July 13th 1927. The Folkestone Municipal Orchestra, conducted by Captain A. Holland performed the opening concert. The vocalist was Mr. Tom Burke. One thousand delighted people attended and claimed the acoustics of the new hall to be extremely good.
During the Second World War many servicemen and women came to enjoy happy hours in the Hall. Folkestone was a Garrison town with troups at Shorncliffe camp, and the Air Force base at Hawkinge. Most evenings it was standing room only with 1200-1400 admissions each evening. The Hall never received a direct hit during the many hit & run raids or during the shelling from the French coast. The Hall is believed to have been a marker for enemy aircraft coming across the channel.
Many refurbishments have taken place over the years. In 1999 plans were passed and work began on a new self supporting structure underneath the Grand Hall for a new function venue now known as The Channel Suite. It is now a very popular venue for weddings, civil partnerships, receptions and conferences.